Friday, March 9, 2012

I've got the music in me!

As a young teen some of my favorite times were sitting on the front steps of the building with friends waiting for Casey Kasem's America’s Top 40 to come on the boom box placed carefully beside us. Most times it was the highlight of our week. We would tease each other about what song would be number one and we knew the words to all of the top 20 songs if not the entire countdown.  When we were in High School they would have dances at the school and we would all dance to our favorite tunes and hum them all the way home.  Music was our life. There were songs for every emotion one could possibly feel; breakups, make-ups, loss of a loved one, loss of a pet, extreme joy and those times you just wanted to “get down and boogie” with Boogie Fever.

My favorite genre of Music is Motown 70’s. It was the era of all the soul songs that artists today just cannot hold a candle to and all the dance songs that kids today think are “retro cool”.  These songs have a way of creeping inside my head and staying for hours. No one can tell. I just sit and work and keep them all to myself.

This morning I logged into AOL online music and selected Urban 70’s. All of a sudden a phrase I must have heard somewhere along the way popped into my head “Most of us go to our graves with our music still inside of us.”

Why is it that I do not sing along, get up and dance, hum or even just “shoulder shimmy” to the brilliant works of my favorite artists?  Is it because I am now a grown up? Do I have to display some level of decorum? Is there some unspoken rule that says I cannot burst out in song and jump up and dance around my office for a few minutes?

 Pondering……………..NOPE! I have only myself to blame if I go to my grave with my music still inside of me.  There is music inside of all of us and even if it is only for a few minutes, LET IT OUT!! Sing and dance and enjoy the moment!

I am turning up my music and I am going to sing out loud! I am getting up out of this office chair and I  am going to shake my groove thing……..excuse me while I go close my office door.

No comments:

Post a Comment